Sunday, February 28, 2016

Iterative Design

Apotheosis



Overview
Apotheosis is a game based on the “roll/spin and move” and “set collection” game mechanics. Players compete against each other to be the first to collect one of each type of resource either by visiting each continent or stealing from the other player. Players take turns either rolling a die to determine which continent they will end up on (and thus which resource they will collect) or challenging the other player to a battle in which the victor can steal one of the loser’s resources.


Play Log

The first iteration of Apotheosis had much different rules than the final version. Originally the only way to collect all of the resources and win the game was by visiting each continent. My partner and I alternated turns where we’d roll a die which corresponded to the continent that we would visit and the resource that would be collected. After six or seven turns of this we realized that the game was horribly boring and needed something to make it more engaging and exciting.




In an effort to make Apotheosis more fun, the second iteration introduced a player vs player aspect. Players could now either collect a resource or a “power-up” from the continent that they visited. Each continent corresponded to a specific resource and power-up. Players could either collect a resource or increase their stats so that they could battle the other player and hopefully steal their resources. I took my first turn and decided to increase my attack. My partner took his turn and also increased his attack. I then challenged my partner to a battle and awaited for him to complete his next turn. My partner increased his defense and met me inside the battle square. We had a fairly complex system for calculating who would go first and how damage would be calculated. As we played a couple of rounds of the battle it quickly became evident that the whole system was flawed and whoever was lucky enough to go first would always win. The battle system became far too complicated when trying to factor in player stats and how damage would be calculated.


The third and final iteration of the game addressed the overly complicated battle system that was introduced in the second iteration. I decided to abandon the player stats and power-ups in favor of a much simpler, luck-based battle system. I also added the following rule: in order to challenge someone to a battle, both players must have at least one resource in their possession. In the battle, both players roll three dice each and whoever has the highest total wins. The winner gets to steal any one resource from the other. Playing through this version of the game was actually fun enjoyable. My opponent and I each took a few turns where we collected resourced before I finally decided to challenge my opponent to a battle. We each rolled our three dice — and I lost. I was down to two resources and my opponent had four. My opponent only needed an ice and a metal to win. I had in my possession a metal and a fire, so my opponent decided to challenge me to a battle. He won and stole my fire. Rather than press my luck at another battle, I decided to collect a resource by visiting a continent. Incredibly, my opponent decided to do the same and was lucky enough to land on Metallic Mountain where he was able to collect his metal and win the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment